One of the big misperceptions about senior living is that it’s only an option when you’re too sick to stay at home. That’s not true, AT ALL. There are actually different types of senior living designed to fit distinctly different needs. While some types provide care for seniors such as assisted living, there’s another type known as independent living that’s all about lifestyle. So much so that more and more seniors are moving to independent living while perfectly healthy! Let’s dig into the differences to help you determine the best fit.
Inside Independent Living
Independent living is designed for active seniors who are looking for a carefree lifestyle without chores and home upkeep that also offers more social and enrichment opportunities than they would have at home.
What You’ll Love:
• A wide range of accommodations; we offer 26 different floor plans for our apartments.
• Home and yard maintenance as well as restaurant-style dining, housekeeping, laundry services and transportation are available. Some utilities may even be included.
• The resort-like feel with beautiful grounds that include walking paths, a pool, fitness center, onsite beauty/barber salon and even concierge services. Our community is also pet-friendly.
• A convenient location; we’re just minutes away from the Roanoke Valley’s best shopping, dining and entertainment.
• A monthly calendar of events, activities and outings as well as a range of fitness and enrichment opportunities.
What to Consider:
Independent living is usually best for seniors who don’t currently need daily assistance and don’t have mobility issues. So, if you need assistance with daily tasks such as medication, bathing, dressing or eating, have cognitive challenges and/or chronic health conditions that require ongoing care independent living may not be the best fit if it’s a stand-alone community.
But even if the community doesn’t provide healthcare and assistance directly, you may opt to use third-party home health services for your needs. For example, we also offer home care services as well so you have the option to remain in independent living as long as possible.
What’s more, if you live in a community like ours with multiple levels of care on the same campus, you can have peace of mind in an easier transition as your health needs evolve.
About Assisted Living
Assisted living offers housing as well as lifestyle benefits similar to independent living, but the distinction is that it also offers onsite care and assistance with daily tasks. The idea is to offer seniors just the right amount of support to help you stay as active and independent as possible.
What You’ll Love:
• Personalized care to help with bathing, dressing, eating and medication, not to mention onsite medical care for added peace of mind.
• The comfort of a warm, homelike setting that’s easy-to-navigate layout making it perhaps even more safe and secure than home if you have limited mobility.
• A range of floor plans from which to choose for your apartment as well as housekeeping, laundry, transportation, restaurant-style dining and similar amenities to independent living.
• Daily opportunities social, fitness and enrichment opportunities as well as a range of events, activities and outings.
What to Consider:
While there is support for daily tasks and onsite medical care, assisted living communities are not designed to accommodate conditions that require round-the-clock care such as IV therapy, injections, catheter care, wound treatment and/or specialized care such as Alzheimer’s disease and dementia.
However, our community features award-winning therapy services to help you recover after surgery, illness or injury as well as an onsite pharmacy that delivers too. And again, the benefit of a community like ours with multiple levels of care on the same campus means that if and when you do need to transition, you’ll have continuity of care and still be in familiar surroundings.
To view our Independent Living floorplans, CLICK HERE.
To view our Assisted Living floorplans, CLICK HERE.
For more information, contact us today at 540.385.8720 to schedule your tour!