It’s commonly known that chronic stress is detrimental to your health. But you may be surprised to learn that seniors are even more susceptible to the health risks created by that stress leading to increased risk for high blood pressure, heart disease, anxiety, depression, insomnia, poor concentration, digestive issues, and weakened immune system. What’s more, often one of the biggest stressors for seniors is maintaining their home. But finding freedom from those stresses is actually easier than you think. See how independent living can help.
Independent living is actually a type of senior living that’s specifically designed for seniors who can still live independently but would benefit from less stress and more time to be active, social, and to pursue the things you are passionate about. In our community you can expect:
• A wide range of accommodations; we offer 26 different floor plans for our apartments.
• Yard maintenance as well as restaurant-style dining and transportation. Housekeeping and laundry services are available through Friendship's Home Care services.
• A resort-like feel with beautiful grounds that may include walking paths, a pool, fitness center, onsite beauty/barber salon, and even concierge services.
• A convenient location (Friendship’s independent living community is just minutes away from the Roanoke Valley’s best shopping, dining, and entertainment).
• A monthly calendar of events, activities, and outings as well as a range of fitness and enrichment opportunities.
Some of the common stresses at home are the daily cooking, chores, and maintenance (both the house and the yard). Not to mention the possibility of unexpected repair bills. The burden can wear on you over time, both mentally and physically, particularly if you’re also navigating other challenges like caregiving, the loss of a loved one, or other health challenges.
However, in independent living, you’re free of the stresses of homeownership with a maintenance-free lifestyle that also offers amenities, dining, and transportation as well. Not to mention, it’s much easier to budget with more predictable monthly expenses.
What’s more, another way to keep stress levels in check is to live a healthy lifestyle. In independent living, it’s easy to do just that with a focus on wellness. For example, we feature a fitness program for seniors that focuses on strength, cardio, and balance, as well as health and wellbeing services and a state-of-the-art fitness center. Plus, our chef-inspired menus are prepared in collaboration with a nutritionist or dietician to ensure they are healthy, well-balanced, and appropriately portioned.
Perhaps most importantly, at Friendship you’ll never have to stress over having support. It’s available whenever you need it through our home care services and we also feature award-winning therapy services, a pharmacy (with delivery) onsite, a physician clinic, as well as multiple levels of care on the same campus for an easier transition should your health needs evolve over time.
For more information on how we apply these practices in senior living, download our Guide to Living Better, or contact Friendship today to schedule a virtual or in-person tour by calling 540.777.7103.