In recent blog posts, we’ve discussed a variety of ways to age gracefully at home with tips on staying connected, staying active, eating well, and living with purpose. But at the end of the day, there’s no one thing or one specific way to do so. Rather, the key is to find the opportunities and support to embrace aging in a way that improves your overall wellness while helping you make the most of life. A feat that can often be hard to accomplish on your own at home. Here’s how senior living can make it easier to age gracefully.
Aging Gracefully in Senior Living
Senior living is positively brimming with opportunities and support to help you age gracefully and the community setting makes doing so a lot more fun, too!
1. We Plan, You Enjoy – One of the hardest parts of staying connected is finding regular ways in which to do so. Not to mention, having the transportation to get there. In senior living, a dedicated Lifestyle Director plans a full calendar of fun and engaging options each month and they’re all available right outside your door! Choices range from educational and enrichment programs to social events, activities and outings.
2. Amenities to Stay Active – Convenient access also makes it so much easier to stay active. For example, our communities feature onsite amenities such as a fitness program for seniors that focuses on strength, cardio and balance, as well as health and wellbeing services, a state-of-the-art fitness center and an expansive campus with plenty of green space, outdoor common areas plus walking trails.
3. Nutritional Know-How – Eating well can be more challenging as you age. But if you love to cook and have learned what changes to make it certainly can be done at home! On the other hand, the dining experience in senior living includes chef-inspired selections, restaurant-style dining rooms and menus prepared by a team familiar with your dietary restrictions as well as preferences. And communities often collaborate with a nutritionist or dietician to ensure all meals are healthy, well-balanced and appropriately portioned for residents so you don’t have to worry about it at all.
4. A Place to Find Purpose – Whether it’s pursuing hobbies, exploring new interests or giving back by volunteering, there are a number of ways to find renewed purpose. It just so happens it’s not only easier to do in senior living, the fact that communities partner with churches, schools and charitable organizations mean you have new options to choose from all the time. And the opportunities come to you instead of you seeking them out at home.
5. Support When You Need It – It’s hard to embrace aging without the peace of mind that support will be there when you need it. You never have to worry about that in our senior living communities. We offer award-winning therapy, a pharmacy that delivers and healthcare services on site. Not to mention, residents can also schedule home care services to help maintain their independence.
For more information on aging gracefully in senior living, download our Guide to Aging Gracefully or call Friendship today to schedule your visit at 540.385.8720.